Friday, July 18, 2008

who is the HEro


Most epic tales, tragedies, comedies have a hero.

In the poem/movie, Beowulf possessed courage when he speaks to Hrothgar about fighting Grendel. In those lines Beowulf says "My lord Higlac might think less of me if I let my sword go where my feet were afraid to, if I"
In the end Beowulf kills Grendel.

Romantic Novels/Disney world
My friend was recently hurt badly by a man she loved/trusted and said that we should all sue hollywood/disney land for making girls imagine that there was a real prince hero out of there.

My hypothesis
In the olden days, people believed there were gods who would rescue man from any danger. Thus turned up when the situation was completely helplessly and solved the situation without as much as breaking a sweat.

Heroes would rather die than look weak


Thus when Kenyans appoint a president who is not afraid to look weak, they develop a loathe for him as they in their heads swore him Heroically.  That's why many Kenyans begged to ask why didn't he show up at Uhuru park just like the first time.  Nobody likes weaklings.

That's not the point.

When women get married, they are looking for a HEro. One who will make their problems disappear. One who will protect them always. Who will not be weak to make bold decisions. Who will speak out for her when the family is against her.

Something in me tells me some people are failing in being the HEro that's why marriages break so often.  Though i wonder, would women live a much fuller life, if they expected less of men to be HEroes?

2 comments:

  1. Heroes are so over-rated. They too are human. Check out Beowulf. In the end he failed as a human, just like the king Hrothgar. If we can grow up and realize that the tooth-fairy doesn't exist and Santa's non-existent,then we can also grow up and realize that dudes and dudetes, as heroes, also fail.
    In the end how someone appears depends on the audience. You've heard of the oh-my-God phrase: "But they were perfect" from others when a couple break up? Yup.
    In my mind, its not how less a hero someone should be, but how patient and forgiving we should be when the humanity crops up.
    *random*
    Does mandela go to the loo?
    or fart in the bedroom?
    or get the blues?
    */random*
    Blog-blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, I finally uploaded the piece on Women Behaving badly, kindly check it out.
    Kenyanpoet

    ReplyDelete