October 15 is Blog Action Day and this year's theme is Poverty.
What to do to eliminate poverty must be the thing that taxes many people (ooh and earns them a lot of cash:) ). This is what i have always thought;
1. Education;- I cannot say enough about this. An educated populance will seek to get themselves out of poverty. Not necessarily by getting a job but by looking for ways to better their life. Education gives people ideas. What you can do today;
When is the last time you donated books, library materials, contributed to the building a classroom in a local area? Think about it.
2. Health;- A person in good health cannot be a poor one. Invest in more available hospitals, medicines, research....A diseased nation is surely a poor one. Contribute to building a local dispensary or something.
3. Food;- We cannot live without food. The more persons are encouraged to plant more food, the more healthier we are hence in a way elminating poverty. Uprooting all those non performing foreign exchange earners (coffee, tea, pyrethrum) and concentrate more on consumables. Tea and coffee are fetching extremely bad prices and if you think about it, we consume the finished product. Concentrate on tourism as the foreign exchange earners and plant more food. Enough said
4. Ignorance has to go. Read point one
5. Affordable Shelter- Housing in Nairobi is a nightmare. It is expensive, expensive, expensive. For a poor people affordable housing is necessary.
There is my 2 cent contribution to end of poverty.