I love dealing with small business, i know the big businesses are taken care of.
Thus my heart breaks everytime , i visit these outlets. I know that though i am patient and resilient with these businesses, a lot of people wont be. It is
- The inattentive MPESA agent- I have the option of using an ATM but they just don't seem to care.
- The tailor who won't keep their promise- I have the option of buying from the thousands of malls in Nairobi.
- The hair dresser who overbooks and keeps you waiting- Too many hairdressers in town
- The hotel that wont give you change unless you ask for it.
- The gardener who does the shoddy job.
- The shop owner who won't smile at customers or rude to the customer.
Eventually these small business run out of business. Not because of capital or all those fancy things people at SME conferences talk about but because they don't know just one secret. That Customer is King. That is a constant. In contracts we use the term best endeavours. That as a business you will do anything and everything in your power to satisfy the customer, sometimes even at your own cost.