Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I am not an Independent Woman

If there is a term that has been used to oppress women these days is the word Independent Woman.
 
Yes.
I have a job.
I drive my own car.
I pay my own bills.
 
But don't get me wrong. In that sense, i probably can be called an independent woman. But that's where it ends. And yes, I said it.
 
I still need help in Flash parking and reverse (mostly provided by the men on the Street). Ooh the frustrations in their eyes at this woman who can't really tell herself that if you move the wheel to the right, the car moves to the right. The truth, most women can't reverse and flash park successful. I know a few who can but just like PHD holders in Microbiology, they are on the minority. Every time i see, someone being helped out of the parking, it will almost be a woman. Never mind, it is an offence to be guided into a parking by City Council of Nairobi.
 
 
Do i need a man to pay bills for a night out/date/dinner? Hell yes and why  not. Because i earn a salary, should i forego the right to be entertained by members of the opposite sex. Can i go dutch? Surely yes, but then i must be sought out as to whether i can afford to go dutch on that particular outing. Picture this, someone calls you wanting to take you out. You agree and start dressing all excitedly. Then at the end of the night, calculates his part of the bill and proceeds to pay it, then looks at you, in a manner suggesting that you should calculate your part of the bill and pay it. Tell me, is it that not a deal breaker? If this should happen the guy deserves to be dumped- pap! It doesn't matter where he comes from. If i am going to pay for my bills, i have to understand that so that i can decide, if i am ready to take the offer to dine out or not. Some of us, do actually budget our expenses.
 
The man still needs to do every other thing, he could do for a woman who is not considered independent. If you don't call, i will sulk:). And I expect to be helped with my luggage. I am not going to put it all here, but you get the drift, NO? You should.
 
Can the man now quit his job and stay home? I remember a woman who i had a car incident with and called her nothing of her husband to come sort her out. This man ended up messing everything. All the same, everything belonged to the woman. Even the money he had been drinking all night. It was like 11 a.m. in the morning and the guy was reeking of liquor. I understood, it was having to have a woman provide for him. A woman is not a provider, damn you! If she can hold her own yes, but not provide for a man unless he is facing with circumstances that require a woman's help and even then, he should try to get out of the circumstances as soon as he can. Let me tell you, species of the male sex, no human being can be mercillessly mean than a woman provider. This fact shall be the start and end of all the arguments.
 
My point is being called an Independent woman does not mean that you are more/or is it less? than another woman. It just means that we are now enjoying the fruits of bra burning activists circa 1970.
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I figure patnership is more of two independents becoming co-depenendent and inter-dependent. But glad to know there's still use of a man beyond just bills and flush parking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time here and I like it. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time here and I like it. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least, there are some ladies who acknowledge the relevance of man even after climbing the social ladder. It is refreshing!

    ReplyDelete