Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Kenyan Meme

KENYAN MEME

1. Who do you think is to blame Kenya’s economic and political woes?
I have no particular person to blame

PERIOD FROM 1963-1978
Kenya was still a young country still enjoying a lot of aid. It was at this time Kenya must have experienced most economic growth. At this time what faced Kenya were the 3, Ignorance, Poverty and disease.

PERIOD FROM 1978-LATE 1990’S
Kenya was then ruled by the former president Daniel Arap Moi. I would like to blame the economic woes on this guy but it would be all unfair. At this time there was wide population growth and lower mortality rates thanks to better health. However the Mzee deliberately by immense corruption, nepotism run down key Government parastatals which were highly important for farmers especially as Agriculture is the main stay of Kenyan economy. Political woes in this era were occasioned by totalitarian ways of that regime. We saw political oppression of great persons like Matiba and anybody else who tried to open their mouths against that regime.

POST MOI ERA
I am convinced there is slight economic growth. However, the economic growth has not tickled down to the ordinary mwananchi who feels that there are worse off than when the previous Government was in power.

Slow economic growth is occasioned by incessant wrangling among the members of the coalition Government and a weak presidency hence lost investor confidence.
Political woes of this regime are constant bickering, Self defeating nonsensical politics, money mindedness of the wakubwas and selfishness. It is to be noted that this goes to individualism of our current crop of leaders rather than oppression from any quarters. Do we call it immature democracy?

2. If you were to be the president of Kenya what would you radically change?
I have a feeling that infrastructure is lacking in Kenya; by this I mean the Road Network, Telecommunications sector, and Technological advancement. It would be effortless to try to fight poverty without looking into these sectors. Trade would tremendously improve if the costs of communication went down.

Dealing with the attitude, replacing, “I am here to eat” with “I am working for my country”.

Health- A country must have a healthy nation to enable it grow.

POVERTY: this would call in strategy mission in eradication of the same by for example

Education – it would go a long way in self empowering Kenyans

Small Micro Enterprises- this would enhances growth in small enterprises which are always in great danger of being swallowed by the big. Imagine trying to compete with Price Water House Coopers as a small accountancy firm, (only LAWYERS have been able to do that).

Business conducive environment- Kenyans still pay high taxes ( can you imagine in the small Barbados VAT is 7.5%) compared to Kenya’s 16% corporate tax is 30% out of 10 bob, you give the Government 3 bob and there is nothing to show for it, red tape and bureaucracy would have to go.


3. What do you think Kenyan leaders are lacking in terms of leadership quality?
They lack commitment, eloquence and selflessness.

4. Have you gone to through the new constitution?
Sincerely just a few parts, now I have to endeavor to go through it.

5. If so, how do you think it could change people’s lives?
See number 4.

6. Is G8 going to make poverty history in Kenya for example?
I don’t think so. Until they stop interfering with my country and cancel debt and still I don’t know how they could change my country unless they agree to do some little things for my country like for example Technology Transfer. I am sorry if I am underscoring it but I visited www.makepovertyhistory.org and my blogmate MOCHA says not any black artiste will be allowed to perform. I am the least convinced that it is not just a gimmick “We Love Africa”.

7. How can you as a Kenyan make a difference in this country?
Avoid corruption
Keep environment clean by not polluting it.
Promoting Work Ethic
Voting wisely


8. Who would you like to be your next president?
I have no one in particular, but I think I will yes, be voting for Kibaki man.

9. I love my country because……..
We are a unique people, no extremely cold winters, nor hot summers. People are truly warm and care about each other. I love it, when I don’t think about those undeserving politicians running it down.
And, as Michael Joseph said….We are a peculiar people.

10. I will pass this to Nicko,BANKELELE,MOCHA,MS K,THINKER,MOMENTS, PROUSETTE,FARMGAL,K.I.D.A.DA

7 comments:

  1. sweetie u didnt see my fingers? am on pax! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm... love your post. Especially on technological transfer. I'm one of those guys who believe kenya's economy will grow exponentially. I have just began an economic forum blog called Economia. Here is the address

    www.econgea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for 'buttoning' my site. Will get back to you about the question you asked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sijasahau -- the backlog of memes I have to go through :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one..

    Will do the necessary...soon(wink)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm done. I'll post it up within the next week

    ReplyDelete
  7. @angel, i am quite an optimistic person who believes everything is possible.

    ReplyDelete